Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for June, 2008

 Kiama’s well-known artillery piece makes an quiet and  unannounced return to outside Kiama Council. It was captured from the Japanese at Rabaul by HMAS Kiama and later presented to the town.

 

 

 

It is not well known but the workboat off the HMNZ Kiama, formerly HMAS Kiama still exists

Two flags for this ship, an early flag and the battle flag are in the Soldiers Memorial Tower at Kiama’s Christ Church.

http://www.steam.co.nz/events_past.html

and incrediblely is currently for sale!

http://www.woodenboatparade.co.nz/for%20sale.htm

Kaiama”  is an ex naval cutter fitted with an Enfield 15 hp. air-cooled horizontally opposed 2 cylinder diesel inboard motor. She first served on the Royal Australian minesweeper Kaiama in 1943 and then spent some time with the Tauranga Sea Cadets and, while with them, she was stuck under the wharf with the tide coming in and sunk. She subsequently sold at auction and extensively rebuilt. She was not used for a period of approx. 10 years and then sold to Sheryl & Malcolm Carter around 2000/01. She was again sold in 2002 to Graham & Julie Raw and is now resident on Lake Rotoiti.
Built 1943.  Length:
5.3m
Price $8500.  Contact Julie Raw  Ph  021901664
email  info@thehartlodge.com

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

The Killalea State Park has been embroiled in controversy from 2007 since a private resort (Killalea Eco-Resort backed by Babcock and Brown and Mariner Financial) was proposed to take over much of the public land.

Save Killalea Button (colour)
http://www.savekillalea.com.au/
It has united environmentalists, local Wodi-wodi Kooris, surfers, local Shellharbour and Shell Cove residents, the Greens, community activists, members of the Killalea family, and even people from overseas (check out the facebook place ‘save killalea’)
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5759818865
IMGA0001(1)

;

Did you know that gold was found on Shellharbour beaches?
Killalea Beach is named after Edward Killalea who had a property right next to the beach. He was from Kiltormer, Galway in Ireland and was transported as a convict on the ‘Captain Cook 3 (not the Surprise)’ in 1836. He was one of the ‘Kiltormer Four’ see here
http://seankenny.ie/heritage/
Like many ex-convicts Edward Killalea survived and prospered.
At Killalea Beach there was a successful gold panning business conducted for two years by Edward Killalea and Thomas Reddall(after who Reddall Parade along Lake Illawarra is named)from 1868. Mr Killalea was paid ten shillings a month by other leasees involved in the gold panning of the sand.
Edward Killalea was elected as an alderman on Shellharbour council and was a director of the Shellharbour Steam Navigation Company and died an untimely death in 1872.
The story was that he died of strychnine while drinking heavily at the Commercial Hotel in Wollongong. The Killalea family do not record this event in their history, see
http://members.speedweb.com.au/thore/killaleaedward.htm
merely referring to it as ‘untimely’.
However a more colourful version can be found here.
http://www.slackycreek.fcpages.com/Edward_Killalea_.htm
which has this detail
“An autopsy was conducted on his body in the hotel with his stomach, kidneys and bladder removed and placed in jars for examination.
The coroner came to the decision that Killalea “came to his death by strychnine, taken by him whilst labouring under the effects of excessive drinking.”
The Fraser family bought the farm from the Killaleas in 1923 and it became known as ‘The Farm’; to local surfers after Imperial Chemical Company planned to turn it into a industrial park were shelved and it became a State Recreation Area in 1969. Most Shellharbour people would not know that Killalea Lagoon used to be known as Moles Lagoon. The area  is also important to local Koori families and there is plenty of evidence of occupation at this site for many thousands of years, including the stone age midden, or garbage pit, used at Bass Point continuously over 17,000 years.

Edward Killalea<

Edward Killalea third from right

http://members.datafast.net.au/thore/killalea.htm

http://www.savekillalea.com.au/index.htm
Some other shots of Killalea beach through the years
Shellharbour view from Seaview a t Killalea 1917
Lookng from the Seaview farm to Shellharbour 1917

Killalea in the 1930s
Killalea towards Shellharbour 1930
Killalea beach in 1971
Killalea to Kiama 1971

Killalea Beach and State Park in 2008.
aerial_44

Read Full Post »

The Kiama Speech of Henry Parkes 1868 DVD,
presented by the Kiama and District Historical Society,
has been finished and is now on sale in the Pilot’s Cottage Museum and other sites in Kiama.
Ian Thom, descendant of Henry Parkes and President of the Henry Parkes Foundation,
came down to Kiama especially to view the final product with local Kiama historian, Fran Whalan.
The DVD is an re-enactment of a famous speech made by Henry Parkes when he was Member for Kiama,
just after the attempted assassination of the Duke of Edinburgh in Sydney in 1868.
It is known as the Kiama Ghost Speech.
The re-enactment stars Ian Maurer masterfully playing Henry Parkes and was performed in the presence and with the help of, descendants of families who were present that day.
The re-enactment occurred last year in August 25th in the Kiama Courthouse, 147 years after the original event.
Ian Thom confessed himself well-pleased with the final result.
“Its wonderful, the DVD captured the magic of the day,’ he said.
 
 
Ian Thom and Valerie Thom with the Henry Parkes DVD.

Read Full Post »

 

The Heritage Walk around Kiama is now in place.
The theme of the nine signs is ‘The Role of Quarrying Basalt to the Development of Kiama’.
The locations are;
1.
The front of the Pilots cottage,
2. The blowhole (first sighted by George Bass),
3. The old Infants school in Minnamurra Street, ( now Kiama Blue hotel),
4. Halfway down the path in front of the Terrace Houses in Collins Street which explain that they and some of the Houses in the Pheasant Point area were built as quarryman’s houses.

5. Storm Bay which talks about the environmental features of the area prior to European settlement.

Aim is to have all 9 signs installed by the end of the week (weather permitting)

 and the rest are around Kiama harbour and these talk about the construction of the harbour  in regard to the export of basalt.

“The heritage walk based around these signs is destined to become a popular and healthy activity for visitors as well as a source of cultural identity for residents as they learn more about Kiama’s heritage,” said a Kiama council Spokesperson.

 


Read Full Post »